Sunday, April 07, 2013

A List of Fat-Related Behavior

Some things that have changed in the past year or so about how I deal with fat (the macronutrient/substance, not adipose tissue): I cook with butter now.  I switched to full-fat yogurt, which I sometimes spice and top with a drizzle of straight olive oil, grassy green and peppery.  I gave up my oil-free moisturizers and cleansers and put jojoba oil on my face, straight, and have stopped washing it with soap.  I take a cod liver oil supplement that's nothing but fat.  I put heavy cream in my coffee.  I order cream soups.  I keep mayonnaise in my house.  I generally choose ice cream over sorbet (except when heat relief is the goal, or when there is a particularly good grapefruit sorbet).  I do not try to put the minimum of dressing on my salad.  I order (and sometimes prepare at home) bone marrow, and eat it with great gusto.  I never eat an egg white without the yolk that belongs to it (except in some egg white-requiring preparation: meringues or cocktails or whatever).  I save my bacon grease for cooking (caramelizing onions, roasting brussels sprouts).  I produce bacon grease in the first place.  When I was working on normalizing fat consumption, I think I went through three pounds of bacon a week, the big Wegman's store-brand packages.  These days, I eat red meat several times a week, up from maybe a few times a month.  I order grass-fed, humanely raised meat in 20-pound packages from a farm upstate (the more fat I eat, the more conscious I become of its quality).  I buy beef and chicken livers from Fleisher's in Park Slope.  Chicken livers fried in butter has become my favorite breakfast; the first time I made them, dubious, I hopped around my kitchen making noises after I put them in my mouth.  When I get a latte at Starbucks, I specify that it should be made with whole milk. 

Some possible effects: my cast iron skillets are beautifully seasoned; my skin looks better than it has since puberty; my nails aren't brittle anymore.  I can also say with relative confidence that the radical increase in my fat consumption has some relationship with my increased satiety and decreased food anxiety.

No comments: